Sunday, August 29, 2010

Dogs







Dogs, i love dogs, big, small, tall and short ones. Ive got 3 dogs now. So my profile is outta date. Ive never bought a dog from a store or a breeder. I'm into mutts and adopting dogs. My first dog was back when i was a kid. His name was Manley, aka Puddles. Puddles had issues. Serious issues, so serious it was determined that he was menace to society ( this diagnose was not made by me, I would never have made that decision) Anyways i only had Puddles for a little over a year. And than he was gone...it was the worst time of my life...i didn't even get to say goodbye to him..I'm so so so sorry Puddles.

My next dog who i got the next day after Puddles went...um....well my dad said go get another dog, so we went to the pound. My mom and i and my sister. The place was a mad house of a mixture of dogs. I looked at each and every one of those dogs. I loved them all. But since i was allowed only one dog i had a choice to make. If you have ever gone to a pound you know what i mean. We met several dogs in their visiting area. but i couldn't pick. I went back to the cage area and went down what was called the vicious dog aisle. I hadn't gone down it before....because well according to everyone else my last dog had been vicious and i doubt they would let me have another. Low and behold smack dab in the middle of all these growling snapping dogs was this little blond fur ball pup with this Pompadour hairdo on his head. It was love, pure simple love. I had to have this vicious puppy. OK OK, he wasn't vicious, he was just placed there til another kennel opened up in the puppy area.

Higgins, That's his name. He was by far the best dog in the world, Polite, handsome, and loved to go sailing. (Well someone had to go sailing with dad every weekend.) During my turbulent teen years i told Higgins everything. I cried on his shoulder so many times I'm amazed he didn't get a moldy shoulder. Higgins was my everything. He went everywhere i went. School, work, walks, anywhere. He loved going to the Bookstore (another story, family business) and hanging out in the backroom because he knew he would get Subway for food. Ham and Cheese, light mayo only and a few potato chips was his favorite. He liked to watch my sister do Returns at the store because he loved to get in the way of things. He wanted to greet the customers and welcome them to the store with his big furry smile.

Higgins was there for me when my parents got divorced. and i cried on his shoulder. I loved Higgins, however the one thing i hate myself for doing was...leaving him behind when i moved to MO.

My Mom and i decided we needed a dog. We both were new to town. So we went to the pound. Once again the decisions and dogs to look at were awful. We visited and sat with many dogs before picking on this little black poofy cotton ball. He was part Border Collie and Retriever. More B.C. than the other. His name was Murphy. He loved his soccer ball, (which my mom, um well swiped for the local elementary school playground) He'd herd that thing all over the backyard. You'd kick it and he'd herd it back to you for another kick. About 5 yrs later, my mom found a lump on his back, and after a vet visit it was determined to be cancer. Murphy didn't make it through surgery, the cancer had spread to his vital organs. It was a extremely sad day for us. My soccer ball loving freak was gone.

My next dog came after i met MrBoston (a goofy love story over the Internet, and him moving to MO from MA.) We'd been living together for about 2 yrs. and had just moved from an apartment to a house. We spent our weekends selling Sport Cards and Memorabilia out at a local flea market. Oh the animals they had out there, cows, chickens, alligators, kittens and dogs, lots of dogs and puppies. One day i saw this truck bed with these puppies in it. I saw this black one i just had to have. Without informing MrBoston i purchased him. He was a fortune, 10 bucks. When i got back to our trucks parking spot where we sold things with the pup, I got the LOOK, and All he said was.."you have to take care of him". As we were packing up and getting ready to leave the lady who i had bought the pup from came over and asked if i wanted another pup. She had one left and didn't want to take him home with her. I said sure id take him. And i got another one of those LOOKS from MrBoston. Men..sheesh...and their looks.

We headed home with our new additions. We made one stop at MrBostons daughters home for some reason i don't remember, and we ended up leaving the little black pup i had bought with them. I was left with the weird black and white spotted pup. Turns out the pups are part Akita/Blue Heeler. My new pups name is Mickey Mantle Mouse N******** W******. I had to give him my last name as well as MrBostons. We call him, Mouse. A 100lb Mouse that is. Mouse can drive too. (pic at top) J/K. Mouse does everything with us. Hes been to Colorado, even stayed at The Stanley Hotel, how many dogs can say that? Been to Kansas, Wichita. KC, St Louis, OK and numerous other places. Mouse is now 7 yrs old. A grumpy old man just like MrBoston. Two peas and all that......

We foster dogs now, We kept our first foster, Mia. Shes a Pit/redheaded something or another. We love them all like they were our own dogs. MrBoston gets teary when they leave for their forever homes. He gets attached to them. Everyone said it was going to be me who got attached. HA fooled them. We foster through a wonderful organization called Killuminati Rescue. They are there for people who might need help with vet procedures that they cant afford and they only foster dogs as they don't have a company kennel. I'm glad to be helping dogs even if its one dog at a time. For all creaturat a time. For all creatures deserve to be loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment